Before you go and toss your orange peels into your compost pile, consider some ways to squeeze a bit more life out of these citrus remnants. There is a natural oil in orange peels that has many uses around the house, and that can give some new life to your appliances.
Consider these five ways that orange peels can help your kitchen appliances:
- Make your disposal smell better. Garbage disposals can smell funky, especially in warmer weather. Give yours a fresh, citrus scent by processing a handful of orange or fresh citrus peels. Add a couple ice cubes to the mix to also help prevent clogs or grease blockages, too.
- Give your appliances a gleam. The oil in orange peels is a magnificent cleaning agent, and it brings a chrome-like finish to your stainless steel appliances. Use the peel to gently rub away fingerprints from the surface of your fridge, stove, and microwave.
- Bring some freshness to your fridge. Start accumulating peels and keep in the fridge to stay fresh. When you are ready to use, dry the peelings in a low oven until dried. Process in a blender until you have a powder; combine with equal parts of baking soda and keep in the fridge for a heavenly fresh scent!
- Quell odors in your microwave. Orange peels can help your microwave get rid of ghastly odors, too. Before you clean your microwave oven, fill a bowl with orange peels and a little water and heat for 60-seconds on high. When you open the door, the sour smell will be gone and the microwave should simply wipe-clean.
- Mix your own appliance-friendly cleaner. For an effective and thrifty cleaning solution, fill a bowl with your orange peels and add white vinegar to cover. Allow to infuse for a week or two, and then strain the vinegar into a spray bottle for a super-easy and environmentally-safe cleaning solution!
Save money on pricey products and use orange peels in your kitchen instead! Start saving peels in a bag, keep it in your fridge or crisper, and pull out to make your kitchen fresh.